Friday, June 14, 2013

Lessons From 'Greater' by Pastor Steven Furdick



I recently completed the book 'Greater' by Steven Furdick.  There were a lot of great principles and lessons that spoke into my life and as anyone reading this knows, my blog exists as a 'digital catalogue' of lessons that I have learned about leadership.  This makes it easier for me to review what I have learned when I take personal leadership retreats to evaluate personal growth.

Here are some great thoughts and lessons I picked up from this short, easy, yet effectively written read:

"The thing is, most believers aren't in imminent danger of ruining their lives.  They're facing a danger that's far greater:  wasting them." pg 5

"There is a price to pay for Christian complacency.  If you keep living on this level, your heart is going to shrivel.  It might already be shriveling.  Your dreams are going to die.  They may already be on life support.  Will you look up one day and be overwhelmed by the stack of regrets staring back at you?  The frustration that's simmering on the back burner right now might boil over one day, and you'll be bitter about the opportunities you missed.  Opportunities to be used by God, to touch lives, to get outside yourself and be a part of something greater.  I know it's not easy.  But don't tell me it's not possible.  Jesus Himself said it was." pg 7

"He's more interested in your full obedience than your full understanding."  pg 46

"In other words, a big dream without a small start is nothing but a daydream." pg 62

Referring to 2 Kings 3 -- "Only God can send the rain.  But He expects you to dig the ditches."pg 66

"We've established that the path to greater things is rarely the path of least resistance." pg 92

"Great opportunities later require immediate obedience now." pg 133

"When you have the highest power, you can take the lowest place." pg 138

"God isn't present only for my epic showdowns and life-altering crises.  He's also superintending my everyday struggles." pg 149

"Elisha doesn't pray that God will send down fire as Elijah did on Mount Carmel.  And he doesn't pray that God will send a larger army to their rescue.  He just prays that the servant will see what God already has in place." pg 168



No comments: